Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Auburn Wins the National Championship!

I didn't go to school at Auburn University, but my father did. In this state, that makes me an Auburn fan. Luckily, I'm not in a mixed marriage since the Music Man is also an Auburn fan and DID actually attend Auburn. If he were an Alabama fan...well, I just don't want to go there. 



In October, the Music Man (it wasn't hunting season yet) and I went to the Auburn vs Arkansas game. We finally found a parking place and had to walk through about a half mile of tail-gaters to get to the stadium. 

Soooooeeee, Pig!

Our seats were in the nosebleed section (about 8 rows from the top of the north side of the stadium). One of the Music Man's high school/college friends had season tickets and wasn't using them that weekend. I don't much like crowds and was not really that keen on going, but he hasn't been to a game in decades (yeah, he's old too) so I tried to make the most of it.

Rawr!


However, once the game started, I was just as into it as the other 50,000 of my new closest friends. There was a chemistry between the team members and it overflowed and circulated through the family, as the fans are called in Auburn.


The FamilyIs All In!

That game is now history. I try not to get too over the top about it, since I didn't attend school there, but it is exciting, especially since this was a winning year! Last night Auburn beat the Oregon Ducks for the National Championship. I'm so proud of what the Tigers accomplished this year, against heavy odds. Bama fans kept saying the Tigers couldn't make it all the way, that they didn't deserve it (sour grapes?). Cam Newton took heavy blows in the media but exhibited extreme grace under pressure. I congratulate the team and the coaches for a season well played. It was fun being a small part of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment