Thursday, January 27, 2011

Murder Goes South

One of the other things I want to do now that I have an empty nest is write a novel. Sounds trite. Everyone wants to write a novel.


When my daughter turned fourteen and started that separation thing adolescent girls go through it was painful, for me anyway. That's when I started writing. I tried journaling first, but you never know who's going to find it and start reading. It was easier to express myself using fictional characters. The genre I read most is mystery, mostly cozy, traditional and ametuer sleuth varieties. It was great fun killing off people I didn't like!

The first few I started on will never see the light of day and it was so long ago they are stored on floppy discs. They were first steps, small and somewhat ugly. None of them were ever actually finished either.

I did finally finish one only to learn that writing the book is the easy part. Actually getting the thing published is the hard part. You know those game machines with the crane that you dip into a vat of stuffed animals. Getting published is kind of like that.

However, I remain (mostly) undeterred and when my romance writing friend, JoAnn, asked if I wanted to go to Murder Goes South Writing conference in Atlanta, I said, "Don't throw me in that briar patch!"

Here's a link to their site: http://www.murdergoessouth.com/index.html 

You never know. I might just end up under that crane after all.

2 comments:

  1. Boys do that separation thing too. Actually it might start at 13 or 15 but it comes. Annoying. One day you are their hero and the next day you don't have the intelligence to get out of bed in the morning without injuring yourself. Who da thunk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boy is now 23 and he actually asked me what I thought about something the other day. You could have knocked me over with a feather!

    ReplyDelete