Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Nest Is Empty Now

My name is Karen Cunningham and I'm an empty nester. Sounds like I'm standing up at an AA meeting, doesn't it. In a way it is. My children have been out of the house for over two years now and I'm finally coming to terms with it. I still backslide everyonce in awhile. Holidays are the worst. Both of my children live in town. I see and talk to them occasionally but have to make myself not hug them too much. I'm afraid if I start, I won't be able to let them go. And go they must, out the door to live their own lives.

For the last two years, I've struggled with the question, "Now what?" It was easy to figure out what my purpose was when the kids were at home. After they left, not so much. But with the start of this new year, I've decided that it's time for me to do some of the things I want to do and reclaim myself. So, today, I went hiking and took some pictures to share.

Camcorder, water bottle, sandwich, gloves and walking stick. What else does a girl need for hiking?

 

Self portrait

High Falls at Moss Rock Preserve

I spent over two hours hiking and taking pictures. I don't remember the last time I let myself do something like this. It was fun. I could get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment